This checklist will help you prepare for your beginning reader’s curriculum. Download and print this checklist and bring it with you to the reading center.
Before each session:
- Pick up your student’s box.
- Review previous tutor notes and the Roadmap.
- Pick up the lesson packet your student is working on today.
- Read through the materials inside the lesson packet to familiarize yourself with the skills you will teach today.
- Create an agenda on a post-it or whiteboard. Use the following as a guide:
- Tutor read aloud
- Review vocabulary & add 1-2 new words
- Word analysis
- Essential words
- Comprehension skill
- Student read aloud
- Fluency practice (for lessons with a literature text for student read aloud)
- Take Reading
Home helpful hints:
- Always check in with your program coordinator if you have any questions about notes from a previous session or the contents of the lesson packet.
- Have all of the materials prepared before your student arrives at the reading center.