Learn how you can use the picture walk activity to check for comprehension and to get your student excited about reading. Learn how by watching this short video demonstration.
- Activate prior knowledge by connecting the book to prior experiences
- Make predictions about the story
- Spark enthusiasm for the story by relating the
Steps of a picture walk:
- Prepare – review the cover and ask the student what the story will be about.
- Activate prior knowledge – Preview some of the images throughout the book and ask students “what do these pictures remind you of”?
- Review – Restate what you discussed in your picture walk.
- Read – Finally, dive in and start reading!