This checklist will help you prepare for your emerging reader’s curriculum. You can also download and print the checklist to bring with you to the reading center.
Before each session:
- Pick up your student’s box.
- Review previous tutor notes and the Roadmap.
- Pick up the lesson packet your student is working on today.
- Review the label on the outside of the lesson packet and pick up any additional materials needed. (Ex – 3 literature texts for tutor read aloud, alphabet practice materials, magnetic letters or bingo chips for the game)
- Read through the materials inside the lesson packet to familiarize yourself with the skills you will teach today.
- Review your student’s alphabet record. Take the letter you are introducing today off of the student’s alphabet ring.
- Create an agenda on a post-it or whiteboard. Use the following as a guide:
- Tutor read aloud
- Learn a new letter
- Play a word game
- Practice reading
- Take reading home
- Always check in with your program coordinator if you have any questions about notes from a previous session or the contents of the lesson packet.
- Have all of the materials prepared before your student arrives at the reading center.