This checklist will help tutors prepare for a session within the comprehension reader’s curriculum.
Before each session:
- Pick up your student’s box.
- Review previous tutor notes and the Roadmap.
- Pick up the lesson packet your student is working on today.
- Select a tutor read aloud. If the student did not finish the tutor read aloud in the previous session, select that title and pick up where your student left off.
- Read through the materials inside the lesson packet to familiarize yourself with the skill you will teach today.
- Create an agenda on a post-it or whiteboard. Use the following as a guide:
- Tutor read aloud
- Review vocabulary & add 1-2 new words
- Comprehension skill
- For the “A” lesson you can write “Learn and practice _____(insert skill)”
- For the ‘B’ lesson you can write “Review _____ (insert skill)”
- Student read aloud
- Graphic organizer
- Take Reading Home
- Always check in with your site coordinator if you have any questions about notes from a previous session or the contents of the lesson packet.
- Have all of the materials prepared before your student arrives at the reading center.