Reading is a process, use these strategies before, during, and after reading to provide a more engaging and educational experience for your child.
Before you read
- Discuss the title and cover art, then make a prediction about the book… “I think this book will be about…”
- Read the blurb on the back… “I’m excited to read this book because…”
- Connect the topic of the book to other familiar information… “This reminds me of…”
- Make personal connections to the characters or events… “The character reminds me of…”
- Predict what might happen next
- Discuss how the illustrations add to the story
- Discuss the characters’ emotions.
- Discuss how the illustrations add to the story… “I think the character feels ______ because _____.”
- Summarize the important parts that happened in the beginning, middle, and end of the story
- Discuss your favorite part of the story… “My favorite part of the book was …”
- Connect the characters, events, or ideas to another book you’ve read… “This story is similar to…”
- Discuss your opinion of the ending… “I liked/disliked the end because…”
Download and print the tip sheet for easy reference.