This resource will help you support the Advancing Reader student you are working with based on the literacy skills that are taught in third through fifth grade.
What is an Advancing Readers student working on?
● Retelling the events of a story, historical event, or process in order.
● Identifying story elements: characters, setting, plot, problem and solution.
● Making inferences to figure out things that the author hasn’t explicitly
● Describing characters based on their actions, words, and motivations.
● Identifying the main idea and key details in an informational text.
● Inferring the author’s message of a literature or informational text.
● Summarizing the most important information in a nonfiction text or events in a
● Identifying the cause and effect of different events in a nonfiction text.